lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Cinder Garden at Craters of the Moon

Posted on: Monday, January 28, 2008

I had a dream about Craters of the Moon last night. The entire landscape was carpeted in a silvery violet snow. I was on assignment to knot and crochet an intricate net of sorts that would mesh with the soot-like volcanic soil. Everything crackled under foot. There were no animals or bird sounds - just primordial bits of vegetation poking through the crusty top layer. I was lost in a cinder garden, trying to preserve the sensation of spring on the moon.

Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve is located near Arco, Idaho. I last visted there in June 2005 when there was an unusual display of wildflowers due to recent rains. I hope to bring my twins and husband there soon so that they, too, can experience the crackling under foot and the lunar flora.


Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger