Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Chatelaine Fiber Chain

Posted on: Wednesday, September 17, 2008





My artist friend Brece Honeycutt kindly came out last Saturday to support and participate in my Lower East Side drifting with spun flotsam. She also clued me into the fact that my get up for the day looked somewhat reminiscent of a chatelaine or 19th century "housekeeper's belt".

A chatelaine or 'chain' is a decorative belt hook or clasp worn at the waist with a series of smaller chains suspended from it. Each chain is mounted with a useful household appendage such as scissors, thimble, watch, key, vinaigrette, household seal, etc. In the domestic sphere these implements obviously helped one to navigate the home and always feel 'equipped'. My urban mapping and exploration involved perhaps more impromptu tools - conversation being the principal means of interfacing and connecting. Nonetheless, I am now thinking hard about what my ideal chatelaine might consist of, particularly in this era of environmental sensitivity and heightened awareness.



0 comments:

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger