lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Using Your Hands as a Way of Creating Connection

Posted on: Saturday, January 15, 2011

'Seasonal Shades' exhibited at The LAND gallery NM / Abigail Doan (2009)

I was recently interviewed by writer Amy DuFault, Fashion Editor for EcoSalon, regarding the mental and creative benefits of using one's hands in crafting, fiber work, fashion projects, and even domestic tasks. You should definitely read Amy's 'Using Your Hands To Soothe The Brain'/part 1 if you in are need of a 'mental vitamin' and inspiration in the depths of winter.

It is quite flattering to be featured alongside Natalie Chanin of Alabama Chanin and Jill Danyelle of Stay tuned for part 2 of Amy's installment early next week on EcoSalon.


Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the link 'using your hands to soothe the brain'. Never knew that other women experienced the same. I have a saying: a needleproject a day keeps my doctor away. That is my explanation to others who don't hold their needle, although they always start to laugh it works fine for me.

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

grrl + dog said...


Indeed you can give your back big pats. It's wonderful to know others like what you do when you spend so many hours locked away in oiur own creative narrative.

elisvermeulen said...

thank you for the link Abigail, I really enjoyed it.

Daniela Cerri said...


Cécile Meraglia said...

I find it normal that you are in the spotlight! I love everything you do and your ecological approach.

Abigail Doan said...

Thank you, everyone, for your very thoughtful and kind comments. I am so pleased that this article resonated with each and every one of you and your personal process in some meaningful way. I was so impressed with the range of work on all of your gorgeous blogs/websites. What a wonderful time for fiber/textile/environmental art. The world seems to be more and more receptive and responsive to what each of us are trying to uniquely do.

I feel honored to have this ongoing dialogue with each of you.

My very best wishes ~ Abigail

claire said...

Have been talking about the topics raised in your link in some group work I do. I work in arts/mental health. Thanks very much for posting this.

Abigail Doan said...

Thanks everyone for your amazingly thoughtful replies. I am so pleased that this article resonated with so many. Claire, I am so thrilled that this was useful for your work. Onwards. So much great work that we have yet to do.

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger