lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Self and Environment Entwined Yet Again

Posted on: Saturday, August 25, 2012

Entwined #2 (photo by Abigail Doan)
Entwined #4 (photo by Abigail Doan)

I am settling in again here in Sofia after being on the road for close to three weeks. Hanging and aerating the fiber strands that I crocheted along the way feels grounding after being in transit and without a workspace for a period of time. As usual, I have draped new forms out on my clothesline just to experience the subtle hues and textures in the sunlight.

Entwined #3 (photo by Abigail Doan)

Traveling is a good way for me to embrace new experiments or solutions that I might not have envisioned. It also allows me time to escape the usual (domestic and professional) routines while soaking up the work of others in a way that feels spontaneous and intuitive.

Here are a few ideas and images that have floated into view this past week:

Katie Noden's Evolution in Stitch: "A collection of adaptable knits responding to the concept of mutation and evolution within sea creatures. Using knitting and crochet methods, the natural design development references the evolution process within marine species." 

detail of hand-crafted work by Katie Noden
a photograph by Francesca Woodman
a photograph by Francesca Woodman
Body Object Series by Ann Hamilton

I was thankful to also be reminded of my Urban Fiber Flotsam (2008) project during a recent exchange with Sasha Duerr. It is so interesting how one returns to previous threads and unresolved investigations without even being aware of it. More on this down the line.


Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger