Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Summer Road Trip with Crochet in Hand

Posted on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crochet in progress from Trieste to Marina di Carrara

I am taking a few weeks off from online activity (or at least the usual tempo of my writing for various publications and sharing updates via social media) in order to complete a road trip from Bulgaria through Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, and then back again.

Riding in the car is not really one of my favorite activities, but I have thus far really enjoyed crocheting and untangling fiber that my twins had knotted up during play sessions this past winter. The journey has been a great opportunity for me to talk more with my husband and share stories about the history of the Balkans as well as his own memories of summers spent in rural Italy.

Here are a few images that I have gathered while in transit. It seems that no matter where one might roam, one gravitates towards those objects, scenes, and textures that are reminiscent of home or are temporally and spatially grounding in some manner.


Patchwork handwoven textiles in Belgrade, Serbia
The Slovenian countryside appears like a prism in time
Lucca's bold architecture and hues at dusk
Riomaggiore's hillside clusters in the late afternoon
Monteriggioni in the height of August
Mod fountain display in the plaza of Slovanski Brod, Croatia
Crochet in progress from Slavonski Brod to Serbia

(all photos by Abigail Doan)

0 comments:

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger