lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Beyond Domestic Space

Posted on: Sunday, September 02, 2012

I sometimes feel as if I am overly engaged with my domestic space. I think long and hard about how each day is orchestrated and often obsess about pockets of light, fleeting images, as well as the work at hand or under foot. 

This – all in conjunction with having a family and (lovingly) balancing the needs and desires of those around me. You would really laugh if you saw how I weave my hours together. The methods are rather unorthodox and the cool rhythm? 'Organic' for lack of a better term.

Lace Window, Sofia (photo by Abigail Doan, 2012)

I often wonder what happens behind the windows and curtains of homes around me. The toil and worry that must go on – despite our modern methods and the technology that is meant to connect us and make our lives more productive.

My neighbors' terraces at dusk

This is why I make a point of walking and observing in the outdoors every day – beyond my domestic space as a way to understand the labor behind a life well-lived. The act of doing so makes (some of) the obsessing melt away, and I am always treated to moments that I might not have otherwise discovered as someone whose tasks seem so imperative.

Exterior shot in Sofia, 2012

I say that we should labor for the light ... or perhaps the lighter side of what motivates and sustains us. The inside and the outside really do want to meld and the steps are right there – emerging from the atmosphere of the seemingly mundane and routine.

(all photos by Abigail Doan)


Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger