Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Make It Monday: Suspended Beliefs

Posted on: Monday, April 15, 2013

Experimentation with vintage plaited rope on my terrace studio in Sofia 
(photo by Abigail Doan)

Sometimes I go into otherworldly states here in Bulgaria. The environs allow me to drift and experiment in ways that I do not always do in the U.S. or elsewhere. I guess that I approach installation projects back at home with strategies that are directly linked to my environmental concerns. Here in Sofia, I am sort of suspended in time and space gazing into my own personal belief system. Perhaps this is why I am so drawn to living here – it allows me to reflect on how and why we live with set limitations as well as ghostly addictions.


This week I am finally getting around to reading the book noted above. I was so struck by these images of Eva Hesse and her work while doing my Sunday morning reading. There is both a weight and a weightless – all at once. How to do this with fiber? Something I am thinking a lot about.

Facade of a house in my neighborhood, Lozenets, Sofia
(photo by Abigail Doan)

And it just so happened that when I was out for a walk yesterday, I came across this neighborhood house enveloped in fiber or vegetation – similar to the way that Eva is enshrouded in her resting pose. These sorts of synchronicities happen all of the time here. I love the way that the blooming bush is like a whippersnapper at the foot of the facade.

Imaginary Meetings by Riitta Päiväläinen (images courtesy of the artist)

And yet again, designer friend Titania Inglis introduced me to more interesting art/fashion visuals via a link to images by Riitta Päiväläinen. The Finnish photographer uses discarded clothing from second-hand shops and flea markets to craft these scenarios. See more here.


This one turns my beliefs and fears completely inside out. 

It is for both the living and the supernatural.

Hovering and blurring the edges. Proof of some sort.

Just what I needed to press on for the future.

0 comments:

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger