Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Make It Monday: Swimming Right Along

Posted on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013

(above images by Abigail Doan / May 2013)

Spring is flowing right along – textures and moments of subtle (hue) comparisons are very much on my mind. I am working on my first book project related to some of these finds. More details on this during the month of June.

I keep searching for the right combination of elements and instances – naturally, like the ebb and flow of my own coastal waters. A process that I reference in this personal SWIM story recently featured on Nomad-Chic.

Beautiful and provocatively odd moments just keep drifting in, and I always interpret these events as small signs that all is on course and often beyond my daily plotting. 

Richard Tuttle / Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge, 'Hello, The Roses' (2012)

To quote Richard Tuttle, whose works I have been studying of late, it sort of flows like this:

If you’re going to be a visual artist, then there has to be something in the work that accounts for the possibility of the invisible, the opposite of the visual experience. That’s why it’s not like a table or a car or something. I think that that might even be hard for people because most of our visual experiences are of tables. It has no business being anything else but a table. But a painting or a sculpture really exists somewhere between itself, what it is, and what it is not – you know, the very thing. And how the artist engineers or manages, that is the question – Richard Tuttle via Kathryn Clark

2 comments:

Katrina said...

So much to love here, Abigail! Mei Mei Berssenbrugge is one of my all-time favorite poets. You might like her book collaborations with Kiki Smith, if you haven't seen them already. Such a treasure she is. And Richard. And Kiki. And I love that you know my friend, Kathryn Clark, too. She's lovely. Hi there!

Abigail Doan said...

Thanks for this wonderful input, Katrina. I have seen the Mei Mei Berssenbrugge + Kiki Smith collaboration but it has been awhile, so I am going to now revisit this beauty.

I do not know Kathryn Clark personally, but I am a big fan of her work, writings, blog, etc.

I love all of these beautiful threads that we have together our here in deep space.

Best wishes in preparation for your upcoming show!

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger