Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Make It Monday: All Meandering Trails Connect

Posted on: Monday, July 29, 2013

Fallen plums with rooftop moss in my neighborhood

I have this small problem when I am working on long terms projects. I spot little events and happenings on a daily basis, and this is almost a distraction from the work that I am trying so diligently to complete. I have learned to simply view these moments as signs that all is on track or flowing, but I will not deny that random beauty is also a major distraction for me.

Silver-toned lichen on Mount Vitosha in Bulgaria

Lichen covered rocks on the ascent to Cherni Vruh

Yesterday morning during a hike on Mount Vitosha, I tried to simply focus on the trail and the breezes that cooled me off during a hot July excursion. But as usual, complex textures and subtle hues would make me stop dead in my tracks.


Mountain wildflowers and lichen on Mount Vitosha

I even carried these wildflowers and lichen fragments halfway down the mountain before documenting their exquisite fusion and nesting them in a shady pocket along a stone wall.

Preliminary image for 'Lost in Fiber: The Gathering' (Abigail Doan, 2013)

I like the idea that 'drifting fiber' and 'drawing with fiber' are acts that keep pulling me through space. I also like the scale shifts that occur when something typically overlooked or cast-off becomes the focus of an experience. All trails inevitably seem to connect for me, and this creative course still demonstrates momentum and direction despite the 'getting there'.

My next project, 'Lost in Fiber: The Gathering' (a working title) will explore these ideas even more. Meandering will be a part of process but in a way that also demonstrates why slower methods and being inclusive makes good sense in the long run. More on this soon.

2 comments:

Hannah Lamb said...

I too suffer from distractions, but I wonder if we should embrace them somehow? Can we let layers of thinking, looking and concentration appear in our work?

Abigail Doan said...

I completely agree, Hannah. I guess that this was what I was after with this post. Layers are inevitably part of the process, regardless of how we each choose to let them surface. Thanks for the input and feedback! ~ A.

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger