Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Gathering | Harvesting | Our Senses

Posted on: Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lost in Fiber | The Gathering experiments on the last weekend of autumn in Sofia

Blogging is coming slowly to me these days – perhaps because my work is on a track that just seems to move along as it needs to, gathering momentum as I harvest things in secrecy and silence. Could it be that we are also sometimes oversharing details that we simply want to savor or incorporate into a project currently in development?


Lost in Fiber | The Gathering wool roving aerating on the terrace in Sofia

Every day feels like visual harvest, though – whether an end goal is reached or not. Perhaps this is simply the farmer in me speaking as a tiller of plots that I like to aerate and cultivate.


Late November mixed media work table | photo by Abigail Doan

Loose crochet interwoven with my garden fence | photo by Abigail Doan

Either way, I am thankful that I have the luxury to even reflect on ideas like this. Many of us do not, and consequently I am aware of why being a sensitive maker/thinker is essential in a world where our senses might be increasing assaulted, deadened, tricked, or violated.


Neighborhood garden in Sofia (2013) | photo by Abigail Doan

If we can demonstrate more empathy towards our materials and shared surroundings, well then, perhaps this is solid ground for making changes in the world. We first have to be able to acknowledge that something is off course, examine it, move into the often uncomfortable situations, and find a way of hopefully doing things better. 

This is why I do what I do and perhaps do not assume any one title. I am just trying to gather it all together in a way that is personal but also might make a difference for others – up close and far away.

2 comments:

Maria Petrova said...

Incredibly beautiful. A thrilling respite. Thank you.

Judy Martin said...

The images in this post are very beautiful, but it is the words that made me comment here.

I so agree about internet sharing. I do have a blog, but it is a careful thing.

best regards

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger