lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Tactile Conversations | An Anniversary Post

Posted on: Monday, November 18, 2013

It is curious – these relationships that we cultivate via the Internet with makers and thinkers who we feel connected to but may have never met. This does not concern me per se, but I am definitely on a mission to make my sustained conversations with others, near and far, as tactile as possible.

This is partly the idea behind Lost in Fiber | The Gathering as well as the creative dialogues that I cultivate between NYC, Bulgaria, and beyond. Sometimes you have to go the extra distance when sharing with those who you do not have a regular in-person exchange with.

This is the 500th post on this blog. A journal that I have been keeping since March 2006. 

You would think that I might have more posts throughout the course of seven years, but my attention was often divided during this time between writing for others, having twins in 2007, and then, of course, traveling between various places as an artist, mother, and wife.

Thanks to this blog, though, I was able to empower myself as a creative to reach out to (and even attract on some level) individuals who I was meant to be connected to – regardless of our ages, backgrounds, and locales.

For this, I am truly thankful, as my blog has made my life quite tactile and rich in ways that I might never have imagined. The very act of documenting one's work, the balance between conceiving and sharing work in progress, and even the humility that comes from testing certain things and realizing that some folks just might do it better – has made this overall conversation quite real.

Self-portrait (Sofia | November 2013)

I genuinely believe that the more we (thoughtfully) share, the more it becomes clear who we are and how all of the pieces might fit together. Our collective core now pines for this.

Post 501? I am always open to what presents itself.


Debbie said...

A very thoughtful post, connections found through blogs have been very important to me. I enjoyed your last two posts as well.

Abigail Doan said...

Thank you so much for the kind words, Debbie. I am so pleased to hear that my posts can have this effect. Thank you for being a part of this ongoing dialogue and good luck with your wonderful projects ~ A.

Catherine Schwalbe said...

It has been a wonderfully tactile experience following you the last couple of years. Sharing beauty and the audacity of such endeavors, is not to be taken lightly. This world can be a challenge in so many ways. Thanks for softening the edges Dear Woman.
In fibers and life,

Abigail Doan said...

You are so kind, Catherine Schwalbe. Your support has been immense. I love seeing all of your latest projects and initiatives as well. Best ~ Abigail

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger