lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Following The Trail | Texture Maps

Posted on: Thursday, January 16, 2014

2014 has no doubt left us confronting new surfaces and shifting terrain. One aspect of this review for me has been the re-examination of the role that blogging plays. Given the more immediate ways that we now have for 'sharing' and 'connecting' via photographic social media platforms, the artist blog often seems like a slow turtle by comparison. It takes time to compose and craft a post – time that one might spend doing the actual studio work.

Outside of the diaristic aspect of keeping a blog, an online journal is often a way to leave a bread crumb trail of sorts when work is in progress. Sometimes you do not want to give away too much, but you also want to provide small hints of how things have been developing, where ideas come from, or even confess a major overhaul of everything you purported to be on track in a previous post.

Peeling texture map photographed in Sofia by Abigail Doan | January 2013

Blogging also still reveals some of the unexpected edges and a virtual texture map of how your world fits together. You cannot always illustrate this with other media platforms, and the suggestive nature of your process might not be evident or even properly appreciated when 'likes' are the form of exchange.

I definitely blog less than I used to, and this might be because I am trying to regain a bit of mystery with my work. I also like to make small leaps between ideas (i.e. not over-explain) and this method might seem confusing when one is encouraged to 'share' all of the time.

I have been thinking a lot about how simple texture maps are a great way to suggest the sensation of what I am after (creatively) without having to reveal too much until things are further resolved. I keep this pinboard, 'Resurfacing/Surfacing' as a visual record of some of these ideas. I also like the micro/macro aspect of what texture maps do and do not reveal.

I think that the most important thing is to use your blog so that it works for you, helps you to connect, but does not become a chore or distraction from what is essential to the core of your work or process. Everyone knows what this balance entails, and no statistics can distract you from the truth of what it means to really carve out a meaningful and complex repository of  your efforts.


india flint said...

Sometimes I wonder about the worth of keeping my blog...and then it dawns on me that in the years to come, when I am but an obstacle on the porch of the Shady Glades retirement home wondering what on earth all this ink is doing on my arms, I will at least be able to wander back through my blog (assuming I have not resorted to using the iPad as a chopping board) and enjoy the stories of where I've been.
Even if I don't realise that it was actually me...

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger