lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Lost in Fiber | Artifacts | Soundings

Posted on: Friday, May 30, 2014

Lost in Fiber worktable in Sofia | May 11, 2014

I am deep in the synthesis phase for Lost in Fiber | The Gathering, partly because I will be transitioning my studio back to NYC by late August 2014, and also because this is definitely a key period for further distilling all of the inspiring materials that I have gathered to date.

Shepherd's Bell with handspun yarn from Josi Faye in Tennessee
(handmade and photographed by Abigail Doan)

The more I live with and work with these materials (the so-called 'cast-offs' from other makers' studios), the more I feel inclined to keep the dialogue open and the possibilities for 're-combining' flexible. This is the beauty of this project, as it is the unexpected pairings and artifact + material fusions that make things organically interesting over time.

Shepherd's Bells with recycled yarn and handspun from BALMASEDA and Josi Faye
(handmade and photographed by Abigail Doan)

Sound or the cycling back of sound, particularly 'the bell' is the best metaphor for the work period that I am currently in. Sound transcends borders and shepherds' bells, for instance, also symbolize a migratory experience as flocks of sheep or herds move across open fields, carving out footpaths and free-form patterns over the surface of (ancient) lands.

Recycled shirt pockets from STATE botanically-dyed by YOD studio in Sofia
(photographed with dried flowers and bark from Mount Vitosha)

Perhaps it is my time in Bulgaria that has shaped this thinking, but I also view this focus as a possible looping back to my own personal experiences as a young girl on our family farm. My most informative days were spent wandering alone, noticing small changes in the crops and hedgerows – all the while imagining what it would feel like to simply keep walking for as far as my feet would take me. I never wanted to run away, but I always wanted to go father, go deeper, and possibly get quite lost. 

'Lost in Fiber' at dusk in Sofia with 'scraps' from Archive New York and Erin Considine

Who would have guessed that I would now be piecing my life together in a way that resembles this freedom, getting lost while also making connections – and listening more intuitively perhaps to the soundings of what we know to be the most transcending and border-defying aspects of communication, both locally and globally.


Susan Hemann said...

Wonderful work. So many creative people out there!!

Abigail Doan said...

Thank you, Susan. I am quite fortunate to be connected to such an inspiring maker community. Best wishes ~ A.

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger