Description

lost in fiber art projects / collaborations / news / reviews

Top Image

Top Image

Good Work May Day Event: Fiber Bracelets for Iran

Posted on: Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Recycled fiber, threads, and yarn strands with environmental art 
by Atefeh Khas and the Iranian New Art Collective as inspiration


I was thrilled to participate in Good Work's May Day celebration at the Textile Arts Center this past Sunday. My afternoon workshop was an occasion to craft fiber 'peace' bracelets to be exchanged with Atefeh Khas and Tara Goodarzy, Iranian environmental fiber artists who I have collaborated with in the past. The goal was to create a kit of braided bracelets that I will send to Iran in exchange for the contribution that these artists made to my exhibit, (Re)Fashioning Fiber, in NYC last May.

Braiding of fiber bracelets with imagery from Iranian artist friends
Participants sharing stories and a love of fiber at the 'Good Work' workshop
Natural dyes provided by jewelry designer, Erin Considine
Prepping the dye vats before immersing the bracelets
Plant dyed fiber bracelets drying in my studio
(These were left over bracelets made by the Iranian artists, 
dyed with natural plant dyes in Brooklyn this past Sunday)

'Good Work' worktable at the end of the afternoon.
These braided designs will be added to the dyed kit
of bracelets that I will send to Iran


Photos of the final mailing kit to be sent to Iran will be posted soon. I will also be returning Atefeh and Tara's 'fiber nets' after photographing them in Central Park. I want to extend a special thank you to Dr. Ahmad Nadalian, teacher and mentor to a whole generation of environmental artists in Iran. His work at the Paradise Art Center in Polour is where many of these artists have found a safe sanctuary to work and explore their ideas. He has been a great art friend and collaborator for the past several years. Congratulations also to Tali Weinberg, curator of 'Good Work', for an exceptional textile show and community building experience.


*all photos by Abigail Doan

5 comments:

pothys said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sweet Mess said...

I love the way they turned out and the photos of the process...

Amelia said...

what amazing work and images. Such a great collaboration. Wish I could come to the talk too :)

Kaity Stardust said...

WOW!! I love how natural dyes are used. I RARELY if not ever see jewelry naturally dyed. I love it. So awesome!!

xoxo sadeesays.com/blog

Abigail Doan said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! I am just about to mail the package of fiber bracelets and art work to Iran. I will post some photos of the final stage of this process. Love what you all do as well ~ A.

Abigail Doan All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger